Comparison of A1C to Oral Glucose Tolerance Test for the Diagnosis of Prediabetes in Overweight and Obese Youth.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Chin, Vivian L
Journal titleClinical diabetes : a publication of the American Diabetes Association
Publication Begin page133
Publication End page140
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study reports performance of A1C against the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) in predicting prediabetes among overweight and obese African-American and Caribbean children. A retrospective chart review was completed for 230 children. Receiver operating characteristic curves were generated to find the predictive performances of different tests against the OGTT. A1C alone is a poor discriminator of prediabetes in our study population, with low sensitivity (70%) and specificity (48.8%). BMI score, A1C, and homeostatic model assessment of insulin resistance are significant predictors of prediabetes and, when taken together, provide better discrimination for prediabetes.
CitationKhokhar A, Naraparaju G, Friedman M, Perez-Colon S, Umpaichitra V, Chin VL. Comparison of A1C to Oral Glucose Tolerance Test for the Diagnosis of Prediabetes in Overweight and Obese Youth. Clin Diabetes. 2017 Jul;35(3):133-140. doi: 10.2337/cd16-0037. PMID: 28761215; PMCID: PMC5510926.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- The performance of hemoglobin A1c against fasting plasma glucose and oral glucose tolerance test in detecting prediabetes and diabetes.
- Authors: Karakaya J, Akin S, Karagaoglu E, Gurlek A
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Pancreatic fat and β-cell function in overweight/obese children with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Authors: Pacifico L, Di Martino M, Anania C, Andreoli GM, Bezzi M, Catalano C, Chiesa C
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 21
- Evaluation of glycaemic status in young people with clinical insulin resistance; fasting glucose, fasting insulin or an oral glucose tolerance test?
- Authors: Garnett SP, Srinivasan S, Birt SG, Ambler GR, Lawrie EA, Cowell CT, Craig ME
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Improving Detection of Prediabetes in Children and Adults: Using Combinations of Blood Glucose Tests.
- Authors: Okosun IS, Seale JP, Lyn R, Davis-Smith YM
- Issue date: 2015
- Limited Agreement between Classifications of Diabetes and Prediabetes Resulting from the OGTT, Hemoglobin A1c, and Fasting Glucose Tests in 7412 U.S. Adults.
- Authors: Tucker LA
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 13