The Genetics of Major Depression: Perspectives on the State of Research and Opportunities for Precision Medicine.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorPeterson, Roseann E
Journal titlePsychiatric annals
Publication Begin page165
Publication End page169
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMajor depression (MD) is a leading cause of disability worldwide; it arises from the action and interaction between genetic and environmental factors, and is often comorbid with other psychiatric and medical conditions. To date, upwards of 100 genetic loci have been associated with MD, giving clues to biological underpinnings. Although recent progress has yielded modest insight into the genetic architecture of MD, most studies have been in populations with European ancestry, seriously limiting precision medicine efforts. Broadening diversity of study populations will empower genomic research by expanding discovery and enhancing our understanding of the role of genomic variation in disease etiology. To fully realize the potential of pharmacogenetics and precision medicine, we will need to address the major gaps in our knowledge of the genetic and environmental risk architecture of MD across ancestries, including sex differences, to improve etiologic understanding, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment for all.
CitationPeterson RE. The Genetics of Major Depression: Perspectives on the State of Research and Opportunities for Precision Medicine. Psychiatr Ann. 2021 Apr;51(4):165-169. doi: 10.3928/00485713-20210315-01. Epub 2021 Apr 1. PMID: 35291372; PMCID: PMC8920347.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- Diversity In Precision Medicine And Pharmacogenetics: Methodological And Conceptual Considerations For Broadening Participation.
- Authors: Popejoy AB
- Issue date: 2019
- Genetic architecture of gene regulation in Indonesian populations identifies QTLs associated with global and local ancestries.
- Authors: Natri HM, Hudjashov G, Jacobs G, Kusuma P, Saag L, Darusallam CC, Metspalu M, Sudoyo H, Cox MP, Gallego Romero I, Banovich NE
- Issue date: 2022 Jan 6
- Genetics of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases.
- Authors: McGovern DP, Kugathasan S, Cho JH
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- The Role of Genetics in Advancing Precision Medicine for Alzheimer's Disease-A Narrative Review.
- Authors: Freudenberg-Hua Y, Li W, Davies P
- Issue date: 2018
- Emerging Concepts in Precision Medicine and Cardiovascular Diseases in Racial and Ethnic Minority Populations.
- Authors: Mensah GA, Jaquish C, Srinivas P, Papanicolaou GJ, Wei GS, Redmond N, Roberts MC, Nelson C, Aviles-Santa L, Puggal M, Green Parker MC, Minear MA, Barfield W, Fenton KN, Boyce CA, Engelgau MM, Khoury MJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 21