Smoking Is the Most Significant Modifiable Lung Cancer Risk Factor in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Urowitz, Murray B
Gladman, Dafna D
Fortin, Paul R
Yelin, Edward H
Hanly, John G
Hansen, James E
Pierre, Yvan St
Clarke, Ann E
Journal titleThe Journal of rheumatology
Publication Begin page393
Publication End page396
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo assess lung cancer risk in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), relative to demographics, drug exposures, smoking, and disease activity.
We analyzed data from 14 SLE cohorts. We calculated adjusted HR estimates for lung cancer in SLE, relative to demographics, smoking, time-dependent medication exposures, and cumulative disease activity [mean adjusted SLE Disease Activity Index (SLEDAI) scores]. This project was approved by the ethics boards of all participating institutions, including the Institutional Review Board of the McGill University Health Centre. The ethics approval number for the Cancer Risk study is GEN-06-031.
Within these 14 SLE cohorts, 49 incident lung cancers occurred. Among lung cancer cases, 59.0% were in the highest SLEDAI quartile at baseline versus 40.8% of lung cancer-free SLE controls. The vast majority (84.2%) of SLE lung cancer cases were ever-smokers at baseline, versus 40.1% of those without lung cancer. In adjusted models, the principal factors associated with lung cancer were ever smoking (at cohort entry) and current age. Estimated adjusted effects of all drugs were relatively imprecise, but did not point toward any drug exposures as strong lung cancer risk factors.
We saw no clear evidence for drugs as a trigger for lung cancer risk in SLE, although drug risk estimates were relatively imprecise. Smoking may be the most significant modifiable lung cancer risk factor in SLE.
CitationBernatsky S, Ramsey-Goldman R, Petri M, Urowitz MB, Gladman DD, Fortin PR, Yelin EH, Ginzler E, Hanly JG, Peschken C, Gordon C, Nived O, Aranow C, Bae SC, Isenberg D, Rahman A, Hansen JE, Pierre YS, Clarke AE. Smoking Is the Most Significant Modifiable Lung Cancer Risk Factor in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. J Rheumatol. 2018 Mar;45(3):393-396. doi: 10.3899/jrheum.170652. Epub 2018 Jan 15. PMID: 29335347; PMCID: PMC5834350.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- Breast cancer in systemic lupus.
- Authors: Bernatsky S, Ramsey-Goldman R, Petri M, Urowitz MB, Gladman DD, Fortin PR, Ginzler E, Romero-Diaz J, Peschken C, Jacobsen S, Hanly JG, Gordon C, Nived O, Yelin EH, Isenberg D, Rahman A, Bae SC, Joseph L, Witte T, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Aranow C, Kamen D, Sturfeldt G, Foulkes WD, Hansen JE, St Pierre Y, Raymer PC, Tessier-Cloutier B, Clarke AE
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Cigarette smoking and disease activity in systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Ghaussy NO, Sibbitt W Jr, Bankhurst AD, Qualls CR
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- The effect of smoking on cumulative damage in systemic lupus erythematosus: An incident cohort study.
- Authors: McKown T, Schletzbaum M, Unnithan R, Wang X, Ezeh N, Bartels CM
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Smoking and Its Association With Morbidity in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Evaluated by the Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics/American College of Rheumatology Damage Index: Preliminary Data and Systematic Review.
- Authors: Montes RA, Mocarzel LO, Lanzieri PG, Lopes LM, Carvalho A, Almeida JR
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- The relationship between cancer and medication exposures in systemic lupus erythaematosus: a case-cohort study.
- Authors: Bernatsky S, Joseph L, Boivin JF, Gordon C, Urowitz M, Gladman D, Fortin PR, Ginzler E, Bae SC, Barr S, Edworthy S, Isenberg D, Rahman A, Petri M, Alarcón GS, Aranow C, Dooley MA, Rajan R, Sénécal JL, Zummer M, Manzi S, Ramsey-Goldman R, Clarke AE
- Issue date: 2008 Jan