Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Urowitz, M B
Gladman, D D
Fortin, P R
Hanly, J G
Yelin, E H
Foulkes, W D
Hansen, J E
St Pierre, Y
Raymer, P Chrétien
Clarke, A E
Publication Begin page311
Publication End page315
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective There is a decreased breast cancer risk in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) versus the general population. We assessed a large sample of SLE patients, evaluating demographic and clinical characteristics and breast cancer risk. Methods We performed case-cohort analyses within a multi-center international SLE sample. We calculated the breast cancer hazard ratio (HR) in female SLE patients, relative to demographics, reproductive history, family history of breast cancer, and time-dependent measures of anti-dsDNA positivity, cumulative disease activity, and drugs, adjusted for SLE duration. Results There were 86 SLE breast cancers and 4498 female SLE cancer-free controls. Patients were followed on average for 7.6 years. Versus controls, SLE breast cancer cases tended to be white and older. Breast cancer cases were similar to controls regarding anti-dsDNA positivity, disease activity, and most drug exposures over time. In univariate and multivariate models, the principal factor associated with breast cancers was older age at cohort entry. Conclusions There was little evidence that breast cancer risk in this SLE sample was strongly driven by any of the clinical factors that we studied. Further search for factors that determine the lower risk of breast cancer in SLE may be warranted.
CitationBernatsky S, Ramsey-Goldman R, Petri M, Urowitz MB, Gladman DD, Fortin PR, Ginzler E, Romero-Diaz J, Peschken C, Jacobsen S, Hanly JG, Gordon C, Nived O, Yelin EH, Isenberg D, Rahman A, Bae SC, Joseph L, Witte T, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Aranow C, Kamen D, Sturfeldt G, Foulkes WD, Hansen JE, St Pierre Y, Raymer PC, Tessier-Cloutier B, Clarke AE. Breast cancer in systemic lupus. Lupus. 2017 Mar;26(3):311-315. doi: 10.1177/0961203316664595. Epub 2016 Sep 30. Erratum in: Lupus. 2017 Nov;26(13):1459. PMID: 27687028; PMCID: PMC5250552.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- Smoking Is the Most Significant Modifiable Lung Cancer Risk Factor in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
- Authors: Bernatsky S, Ramsey-Goldman R, Petri M, Urowitz MB, Gladman DD, Fortin PR, Yelin EH, Ginzler E, Hanly JG, Peschken C, Gordon C, Nived O, Aranow C, Bae SC, Isenberg D, Rahman A, Hansen JE, Pierre YS, Clarke AE
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- The relationship between cancer and medication exposures in systemic lupus erythaematosus: a case-cohort study.
- Authors: Bernatsky S, Joseph L, Boivin JF, Gordon C, Urowitz M, Gladman D, Fortin PR, Ginzler E, Bae SC, Barr S, Edworthy S, Isenberg D, Rahman A, Petri M, Alarcón GS, Aranow C, Dooley MA, Rajan R, Sénécal JL, Zummer M, Manzi S, Ramsey-Goldman R, Clarke AE
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Hormonal exposures and breast cancer in a sample of women with systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Bernatsky S, Clarke A, Ramsey-Goldman R, Joseph L, Boivin JF, Rajan R, Moore AD, Leung MH, Allen A, Gordon C
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Comparison of breast cancer risk in women with and without systemic lupus erythematosus in a Medicare population.
- Authors: Khaliq W, Qayyum R, Clough J, Vaidya D, Wolff AC, Becker DM
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Breast cancer in systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Tessier Cloutier B, Clarke AE, Ramsey-Goldman R, Wang Y, Foulkes W, Gordon C, Hansen JE, Yelin E, Urowitz MB, Gladman D, Fortin PR, Wallace DJ, Petri M, Manzi S, Ginzler EM, Labrecque J, Edworthy S, Dooley MA, Senécal JL, Peschken CA, Bae SC, Isenberg D, Rahman A, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Hanly JG, Jacobsen S, Nived O, Witte T, Criswell LA, Barr SG, Dreyer L, Sturfelt G, Bernatsky S
- Issue date: 2013