Nitrated nucleosome levels and neuropsychiatric events in systemic lupus erythematosus; a multi-center retrospective case-control study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Raimondo, Maria Gabriella
Hanly, John G
Urowitz, Murray B
Bruce, Ian N
Clarke, Ann E
Dooley, Mary Anne
Sturfelt, Gunnar K
van Vollenhoven, Ronald
Wallace, Daniel J
Journal titleArthritis research & therapy
Publication Begin page287
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) there is no serological test that will reliably distinguish neuropsychiatric (NP) events due to active SLE from those due to other causes. Previously we showed that serum levels of nitrated nucleosomes (NN) were elevated in a small number of patients with NPSLE. Here we measured serum NN in samples from a larger population of patients with SLE and NP events to see whether elevated serum NN could be a marker for NPSLE.
We obtained serum samples from patients in the Systemic Lupus International Collaborative Clinics (SLICC) inception cohort. This included 216 patients with NP events and two matched controls with SLE but no NP events for each of these patients. For the NP patients we tested samples taken before, during and after the NP event.
Twenty-six patients had events attributed to SLE according to the most stringent SLICC attribution rule. In these patients there was no association between onset of event and elevated serum NN. In 190 patients in whom events were not attributed to SLE by the SLICC rules, median serum NN was elevated at the onset of event (P = 0.006). The predominant clinical features in this group of 190 patients were headache, mood disorders and anxiety.
Serum NN levels rise at the time of an NP event in a proportion of patients with SLE. Further studies are needed to determine the value of serum NN as a biomarker for NPSLE.
CitationFerreira I, Croca S, Raimondo MG, Matharu M, Miller S, Giles I, Isenberg D, Ioannou Y, Hanly JG, Urowitz MB, Anderson N, Aranow C, Askanase A, Bae SC, Bernatsky S, Bruce IN, Buyon J, Clarke AE, Dooley MA, Fortin P, Ginzler E, Gladman D, Gordon C, Inanc M, Jacobsen S, Kalunian K, Kamen D, Khamashta M, Lim S, Manzi S, Merrill J, Nived O, Peschken C, Petri M, Ramsey-Goldman R, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Steinson K, Sturfelt GK, van Vollenhoven R, Wallace DJ, Zoma A, Rahman A. Nitrated nucleosome levels and neuropsychiatric events in systemic lupus erythematosus; a multi-center retrospective case-control study. Arthritis Res Ther. 2017 Dec 22;19(1):287. doi: 10.1186/s13075-017-1495-6. PMID: 29273092; PMCID: PMC5741886.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- Serum nitrated nucleosome levels in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a retrospective longitudinal cohort study.
- Authors: Croca S, Bassett P, Pericleous C, Alber KF, Latchman D, Isenberg D, Giles I, Rahman A, Ioannou Y
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 7
- Utility of TWEAK to assess neuropsychiatric disease activity in systemic lupus erhytematosus.
- Authors: Fragoso-Loyo H, Atisha-Fregoso Y, Nuñez-Alvarez CA, Llorente L
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Serum neuron specific enolase - a novel indicator for neuropsychiatric systemic lupus erythematosus?
- Authors: Hawro T, Bogucki A, Krupińska-Kun M, Maurer M, Woźniacka A
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Neuropsychiatric manifestations and antiphospholipid antibodies in pediatric onset lupus: 14 years of experience from a tertiary center of North India.
- Authors: Singh S, Gupta MK, Ahluwalia J, Singh P, Malhi P
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Neuropsychiatric systemic lupus erythematosus: association with global disease activity.
- Authors: Morrison E, Carpentier S, Shaw E, Doucette S, Hanly JG
- Issue date: 2014 Apr