Atherosclerotic vascular events in a multinational inception cohort of systemic lupus erythematosus.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorUrowitz, M B
Bae, S C
Fortin, P R
Hanly, J G
Wallace, D J
Alarcón, G S
Merrill, J T
Bruce, I N
Dooley, M A
Van Vollenhoven, R F
Journal titleArthritis care & research
Publication Begin page881
Publication End page7
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo describe vascular events during an 8-year followup in a multicenter systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) inception cohort and their attribution to atherosclerosis.
Clinical data, including comorbidities, were recorded yearly. Vascular events were recorded and attributed to atherosclerosis or not. All of the events met standard clinical criteria. Factors associated with atherosclerotic vascular events were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-tests, and chi-square tests. Stepwise multivariate logistic regression was used to assess the association of factors with vascular events attributed to atherosclerosis.
Since 2000, 1,249 patients have been entered into the cohort. There have been 97 vascular events in 72 patients, including: myocardial infarction (n = 13), angina (n = 15), congestive heart failure (n = 24), peripheral vascular disease (n = 8), transient ischemic attack (n = 13), stroke (n = 23), and pacemaker insertion (n = 1). Fifty of the events were attributed to active lupus, 31 events in 22 patients were attributed to atherosclerosis, and 16 events were attributed to other causes. The mean +/- SD time from diagnosis to the first atherosclerotic event was 2.0 +/- 1.5 years. Compared with patients followed for 2 years without atherosclerotic events (n = 615), at enrollment, patients with atherosclerotic vascular events were more frequently white, men, older at diagnosis of SLE, obese, smokers, hypertensive, and had a family history of coronary artery disease. On multivariate analysis, only male sex and older age at diagnosis were associated factors.
In an inception cohort with SLE followed for up to 8 years, there were 97 vascular events, but only 31 were attributable to atherosclerosis. Patients with atherosclerotic events were more likely to be men and to be older at diagnosis of SLE.
CitationUrowitz MB, Gladman D, Ibañez D, Bae SC, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Gordon C, Clarke A, Bernatsky S, Fortin PR, Hanly JG, Wallace DJ, Isenberg D, Rahman A, Alarcón GS, Merrill JT, Ginzler E, Khamashta M, Nived O, Sturfelt G, Bruce IN, Steinsson K, Manzi S, Ramsey-Goldman R, Dooley MA, Zoma A, Kalunian K, Ramos M, Van Vollenhoven RF, Aranow C, Stoll T, Petri M, Maddison P; Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics. Atherosclerotic vascular events in a multinational inception cohort of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010 Jun;62(6):881-7. doi: 10.1002/acr.20122. PMID: 20535799; PMCID: PMC2989413.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- Accrual of Atherosclerotic Vascular Events in a Multicenter Inception Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Cohort.
- Authors: Urowitz MB, Gladman DD, Farewell V, Su J, Romero-Diaz J, Bae SC, Fortin PR, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Clarke AE, Bernatsky S, Gordon C, Hanly JG, Wallace DJ, Isenberg DA, Rahman A, Merrill JT, Ginzler E, Alarcón GS, Chatham WW, Petri MA, Bruce IN, Khamashta MA, Aranow C, Dooley MA, Manzi S, Ramsey-Goldman R, Nived O, Jönsen A, Steinsson K, Zoma AA, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Lim SS, Kalunian KC, Ỉnanç M, van Vollenhoven R, Ramos-Casals M, Kamen DL, Jacobsen S, Peschken CA, Askanase A, Stoll T
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Atherosclerotic Vascular Events in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: An Evolving Story.
- Authors: Urowitz MB, Su J, Gladman DD
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- The SLICC inception cohort for atherosclerosis.
- Authors: Urowitz MB, Gladman DD
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Atherosclerotic vascular events in a single large lupus cohort: prevalence and risk factors.
- Authors: Urowitz MB, Ibañez D, Gladman DD
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Coronary, Carotid, and Lower-extremity Atherosclerosis and Their Interrelationship in Danish Patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
- Authors: Kay SD, Poulsen MK, Diederichsen AC, Voss A
- Issue date: 2016 Feb