Pathways to post-traumatic stress disorder and alcohol dependence: Trauma, executive functioning, and family history of alcoholism in adolescents and young adults.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorSubbie-Saenz de Viteri, Stacey
Meyers, Jacquelyn L
Journal titleBrain and behavior
Publication Begin pagee01789
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: Family history (FH) of alcohol dependence is likely to increase the risk of trauma exposure, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and alcohol dependence. FH of alcohol dependence and trauma has been separately shown to adversely affect planning/problem-solving aspects of executive function. However, few studies have examined these risk factors in an integrated model. Methods: Using data from trauma-exposed individuals from the Collaborative Study on the Genetics of Alcoholism prospective cohort (N = 1,860), comprising offspring from alcohol-dependent high-risk and comparison families (mean age [SE] = 21.9 [4.2]), we investigated associations of trauma (nonsexual assaultive, nonassaultive, sexual assaultive) with DSM-IV PTSD and alcohol dependence symptom counts, and planning/problem-solving abilities assessed using the Tower of London Test (TOLT). Moderating effects of family history density of alcohol use disorder (FHD) on these associations and sex differences were explored. Results: Family history density was positively associated with PTSD in female participants who endorsed a sexual assaultive trauma. Exposure to nonsexual assaultive trauma was associated with more excess moves made on the TOLT. Conclusion: Findings from this study demonstrate associations with PTSD and alcohol dependence symptom counts, as well as poor problem-solving ability in trauma-exposed individuals from families densely affected with alcohol dependence, depending on trauma type, FHD, and sex. This suggests that having a FH of alcohol dependence and exposure to trauma during adolescence may be associated with more PTSD and alcohol dependence symptoms, and poor problem-solving abilities in adulthood.
CitationSubbie-Saenz de Viteri S, Pandey A, Pandey G, Kamarajan C, Smith R, Anokhin A, Bauer L, Bender A, Chan G, Dick D, Edenberg H, Kinreich S, Kramer J, Schuckit M, Zang Y, McCutcheon V, Bucholz K, Porjesz B, Meyers JL. Pathways to post-traumatic stress disorder and alcohol dependence: Trauma, executive functioning, and family history of alcoholism in adolescents and young adults. Brain Behav. 2020 Nov;10(11):e01789. doi: 10.1002/brb3.1789. Epub 2020 Sep 29. PMID: 32990406; PMCID: PMC7667345.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as © 2020 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals LLC.
- Early Sexual Trauma Exposure and Neural Response Inhibition in Adolescence and Young Adults: Trajectories of Frontal Theta Oscillations During a Go/No-Go Task.
- Authors: Meyers J, McCutcheon VV, Pandey AK, Kamarajan C, Subbie S, Chorlian D, Salvatore J, Pandey G, Almasy L, Anokhin A, Bauer L, Bender A, Dick DM, Edenberg HJ, Hesselbrock V, Kramer J, Kuperman S, Agrawal A, Bucholz K, Porjesz B
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- The effect of pre-existing alcohol use disorder on the risk of developing posttraumatic stress disorder: results from a longitudinal national representative sample.
- Authors: Balachandran T, Cohen G, Le Foll B, Rehm J, Hassan AN
- Issue date: 2020
- Risk pathways among traumatic stress, posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms, and alcohol and drug problems: a test of four hypotheses.
- Authors: Haller M, Chassin L
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Trauma exposure, posttraumatic stress disorder and risk for alcohol, nicotine, and marijuana dependence in Israel.
- Authors: Walsh K, Elliott JC, Shmulewitz D, Aharonovich E, Strous R, Frisch A, Weizman A, Spivak B, Grant BF, Hasin D
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- A latent class analysis of alcohol and posttraumatic stress symptoms among offspring of parents with and without alcohol use disorder.
- Authors: Bender AK, Meyers JL, di Viteri SS, Schuckit M, Chan G, Acion L, Kamarajan C, Kramer J, Anohkin A, Kinreich S, Pandey A, Hesselbrock V, Hesselbrock M, Bucholz KK, McCutcheon VV
- Issue date: 2021 Jan