Genetics of Perceived Family Interaction From 12 to 17 Years of Age.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Rose, Richard J
Dick, Danielle M
Journal titleBehavior genetics
Publication Begin page366
Publication End page375
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe analyzed how the effects of genetic and environmental factors on the perceptions of family interaction change from early to late adolescence. The data were collected by postal surveys on Finnish twins (N = 4808) at 12, 14 and 17 years of age and analyzed using genetic twin modeling. Additive genetic factors explained a modest share of the variation in perceived relational support (a = 0.30 in boys and 0.18 in girls) and relational tensions (a = 0.13 and 0.14, respectively) at 12 years of age, with the proportions becoming larger through 17 years of age (a = 0.53 in boys and 0.49 in girls for relational support; a = 0.35 in boys and 0.33 in girls for relational tensions). Simultaneously, the role of environment shared by co-twins decreased. These findings suggest that the associations between perceived family interaction and other factors in adulthood should be interpreted with caution, because they partly reflect genetic background, whereas in childhood, they may provide more reliable information on parental characteristics.
CitationSilventoinen K, Su J, Pulkkinen L, Barr P, Rose RJ, Dick DM, Kaprio J. Genetics of Perceived Family Interaction From 12 to 17 Years of Age. Behav Genet. 2019 Jul;49(4):366-375. doi: 10.1007/s10519-019-09960-z. Epub 2019 May 24. Erratum in: Behav Genet. 2019 Jul 1;: PMID: 31127448; PMCID: PMC6554250.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- Perceived Family Cohesion Moderates Environmental Influences on Prosocial Behavior in Nigerian Adolescent Twins.
- Authors: Hur YM, Taylor J, Jeong HU, Park MS, Haberstick BC
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Genetic and environmental effects on body mass index from infancy to the onset of adulthood: an individual-based pooled analysis of 45 twin cohorts participating in the COllaborative project of Development of Anthropometrical measures in Twins (CODATwins) study.
- Authors: Silventoinen K, Jelenkovic A, Sund R, Hur YM, Yokoyama Y, Honda C, Hjelmborg Jv, Möller S, Ooki S, Aaltonen S, Ji F, Ning F, Pang Z, Rebato E, Busjahn A, Kandler C, Saudino KJ, Jang KL, Cozen W, Hwang AE, Mack TM, Gao W, Yu C, Li L, Corley RP, Huibregtse BM, Christensen K, Skytthe A, Kyvik KO, Derom CA, Vlietinck RF, Loos RJ, Heikkilä K, Wardle J, Llewellyn CH, Fisher A, McAdams TA, Eley TC, Gregory AM, He M, Ding X, Bjerregaard-Andersen M, Beck-Nielsen H, Sodemann M, Tarnoki AD, Tarnoki DL, Stazi MA, Fagnani C, D'Ippolito C, Knafo-Noam A, Mankuta D, Abramson L, Burt SA, Klump KL, Silberg JL, Eaves LJ, Maes HH, Krueger RF, McGue M, Pahlen S, Gatz M, Butler DA, Bartels M, van Beijsterveldt TC, Craig JM, Saffery R, Freitas DL, Maia JA, Dubois L, Boivin M, Brendgen M, Dionne G, Vitaro F, Martin NG, Medland SE, Montgomery GW, Chong Y, Swan GE, Krasnow R, Magnusson PK, Pedersen NL, Tynelius P, Lichtenstein P, Haworth CM, Plomin R, Bayasgalan G, Narandalai D, Harden KP, Tucker-Drob EM, Öncel SY, Aliev F, Spector T, Mangino M, Lachance G, Baker LA, Tuvblad C, Duncan GE, Buchwald D, Willemsen G, Rasmussen F, Goldberg JH, Sørensen TIa, Boomsma DI, Kaprio J
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Individual differences in adolescent religiosity in Finland: familial effects are modified by sex and region of residence.
- Authors: Winter T, Kaprio J, Viken RJ, Karvonen S, Rose RJ
- Issue date: 1999 Jun
- Genetic and environmental influences on growth from late childhood to adulthood: a longitudinal study of two Finnish twin cohorts.
- Authors: Jelenkovic A, Ortega-Alonso A, Rose RJ, Kaprio J, Rebato E, Silventoinen K
- Issue date: 2011 Nov-Dec
- Testing Familial Transmission of Smoking With Two Different Research Designs.
- Authors: Treur JL, Verweij KJH, Abdellaoui A, Fedko IO, de Zeeuw EL, Ehli EA, Davies GE, Hottenga JJ, Willemsen G, Boomsma DI, Vink JM
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 7