Diagnosing a periprosthetic shoulder infection: A systematic review.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorJauregui, Julio J
Chaudhri, Moiuz W
Henn, R Frank
Gilotra, Mohit N
Hasan, S Ashfaq
Journal titleJournal of orthopaedics
Publication Begin page58
Publication End page66
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: The aim of this study was to systematically review the literature regarding accurate shoulder prosthetic joint infection (PJI) diagnosis. Methods: Using PRISMA guidelines, we analyzed 25 studies reporting on 5535 patients and 646 infections. Results: Cutibacterium acnes (C. acnes) cultures were positive in 60% of patients. Serum markers WBC, CRP, ESR, and IL-6 appear to lack diagnostic reliability. Synovial IL-6 and alpha-defensin may be more accurate in detecting infections. Conclusion: Synovial IL-6 and alpha-defensin appear to have greater utility than serum markers. These may be incorporated into new criteria to accurately diagnose shoulder PJI. Level of evidence: IV. Keywords: C. acnes; Cutibacterium acnes; Diagnosis; Infection; Periprosthetic infection; Shoulder arthroplasty.
CitationJauregui JJ, Tran A, Kaveeshwar S, Nadarajah V, Chaudhri MW, Henn RF 3rd, Gilotra MN, Hasan SA. Diagnosing a periprosthetic shoulder infection: A systematic review. J Orthop. 2021 Jul 13;26:58-66. doi: 10.1016/j.jor.2021.07.012. PMID: 34305349; PMCID: PMC8283270.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as © 2021 Professor P K Surendran Memorial Education Foundation. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- What Is the Diagnostic Accuracy of Alpha-Defensin and Leukocyte Esterase Test in Periprosthetic Shoulder Infection?
- Authors: Unter Ecker N, Koniker A, Gehrke T, Salber J, Zahar A, Hentschke M, Citak M
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Validation of new shoulder periprosthetic joint infection criteria.
- Authors: Patel VV, Ernst SMC, Rangarajan R, Blout CK, Lee BK, Itamura JM
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- Alpha-defensin lateral flow test does not appear to be useful in predicting shoulder periprosthetic joint infections.
- Authors: Weigelt L, Plate A, Stadler L, Sutter R, Frustaci D, Zbinden R, Zingg PO, Gerber C, Achermann Y
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- α-Defensin as a predictor of periprosthetic shoulder infection.
- Authors: Frangiamore SJ, Saleh A, Grosso MJ, Kovac MF, Higuera CA, Iannotti JP, Ricchetti ET
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Diagnostic Accuracy of Serum, Synovial, and Tissue Testing for Chronic Periprosthetic Joint Infection After Hip and Knee Replacements: A Systematic Review.
- Authors: Carli AV, Abdelbary H, Ahmadzai N, Cheng W, Shea B, Hutton B, Sniderman J, Philip Sanders BS, Esmaeilisaraji L, Skidmore B, Gauthier-Kwan OY, Bunting AC, Gauthier P, Crnic A, Logishetty K, Moher D, Fergusson D, Beaulé PE
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 3