Evolutionary dynamics of endogenous feline leukemia virus proliferation among species of the domestic cat lineage.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Roca, Alfred L
Rosensteel, Bryan B
Bar-Gal, Gila Kahila
Publication Begin page397
Publication End page407
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEndogenous feline leukemia viruses (enFeLVs) occur in the germ lines of the domestic cat and related wild species (genus Felis). We sequenced the long terminal repeats and part of the env region of enFeLVs in domestic cats and five wild species. A total of 305 enFeLV sequences were generated across 17 individuals, demonstrating considerable diversity within two major clades. Distinct proliferations of enFeLVs occurred before and after the black-footed cat diverged from the other species. Diversity of enFeLVs was limited for the sand cat and jungle cat suggesting that proliferation of enFeLVs occurred within these species after they diverged. Relationships among enFeLVs were congruent with host species relationships except for the jungle cat, which carried only enFeLVs from a lineage that recently invaded the germline (enFeLV-AGTT). Comparison of wildcat and domestic cat enFeLVs indicated that a distinctive germ line invasion of enFeLVs has not occurred since the cat was domesticated.
CitationPolani S, Roca AL, Rosensteel BB, Kolokotronis SO, Bar-Gal GK. Evolutionary dynamics of endogenous feline leukemia virus proliferation among species of the domestic cat lineage. Virology. 2010 Sep 30;405(2):397-407. doi: 10.1016/j.virol.2010.06.010. Epub 2010 Jul 7. PMID: 20615520.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Copyright 2010 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Genomically intact endogenous feline leukemia viruses of recent origin.
- Authors: Roca AL, Pecon-Slattery J, O'Brien SJ
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Tracking the Fate of Endogenous Retrovirus Segregation in Wild and Domestic Cats.
- Authors: Ngo MH, Arnal M, Sumi R, Kawasaki J, Miyake A, Grant CK, Otoi T, Fernández de Luco D, Nishigaki K
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 15
- Quantification of endogenous and exogenous feline leukemia virus sequences by real-time PCR assays.
- Authors: Tandon R, Cattori V, Willi B, Lutz H, Hofmann-Lehmann R
- Issue date: 2008 May 15
- Association between endogenous feline leukemia virus loads and exogenous feline leukemia virus infection in domestic cats.
- Authors: Tandon R, Cattori V, Pepin AC, Riond B, Meli ML, McDonald M, Doherr MG, Lutz H, Hofmann-Lehmann R
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Insertional polymorphisms of endogenous feline leukemia viruses.
- Authors: Roca AL, Nash WG, Menninger JC, Murphy WJ, O'Brien SJ
- Issue date: 2005 Apr