Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Single Sport Athlete
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe purpose of this synthesis project was to explore whether sport specialization is worth the potential risks. Another purpose was to explore the myths and realities of sport specialization. A comprehensive literature review took place that included 17 data based peer-reviewed articles published between 2003-2019. Results indicated that sport sampling is the best way to achieve future success in sport, not sport early specialization (Hastie, 2015). Athletes who specialize in one sport are more likely to have a lower extremity injury occur compared to athletes who sport sample (McGuine, Post, Hetzel, Brooks, Trigsted & Bell, 2017). Another factor to consider is that while athletes may be choosing to specialize to obtain collegiate scholarships, athletes who played multiple sports actually received athletic scholarships more often compared to their specializing counterparts (Ginsburg, Danforth, Ceranoglu, Durant, Robin, Smith, Kamin, Babcock, Masek, 2014). It is critical that athletes, parents/guardians, coaches and others who influence the decision to specialize or sport sample know the true risks involved when making the decision.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Effects of Sport Specialization on Youth and Interscholastic AthletesHouston-Wilson, Cathy; Innes, Joseph; The College at Brockport (2017-12-12)Athletes are beginning to specialize in one specific sport more recently than ever before. There are two types of athletes, a single sport athlete, and a multi-sport athlete. Therefore, the purpose of this synthesis was to review the literature on sport specialization. More specifically the various effects specializing versus participating in multiple sports has on an athlete, both physically and mentally. Research has shown that there are positive and negative effects to both sport specialization and diversification. Further research on this topic can give athletes a better idea on what is best for them overall.
Ontological Possibilties: Sport as PlayKretchmar, Scott; The College at Brockport (1972-01-01)It is often thought that sport is highly incompatible with play, since the competitiveness of sport requires a degree of seriousness and commitment that are at odds with the freedom of play. However, this paper will argue that the competitive fullness of sport is compatible with play, even if not perfectly coextensive with it.
The Socialization of Elite Blind Athletes into SportTepfer, Amanda; The College at Brockport (2004-07-01)The purpose of this study was threefold: (1) to gather information about how athletes with sensory impairments are socialized into sport, (2) to why they continue to participate and compete, (3) to what barriers, if any, they faced due to their blindness or visual impairment. Interview data were gathered from 32 elite athletes (22 males and 10 females) who competed in the 3rd Pan Am Games for the Blind. Pa1ticipants ranged in age from 17-50 (M=27.5 years). Under the classification system used by the ISBA, 1 2 of the participants were classified B1, 7 were classified B2, and 13 were classified B3. The interview protocol included open and closed-ended questions about personal attributes, socializing agents, socializing situations and barriers they faced and are currently confronted with. The participants became involved in sports between the ages of 7 and 36 (M=16.6 years). Over 80% of the participants attended public schools (K-12) with inclusive physical education classes. The other 20% either attended a segregated school for the blind or both types of schools. Results indicated family as the most important socializing agent during childhood, friends during adolescence, and the athletes themselves and coaches’ currently. These results are consistent with other developmental research studies. During all three stages examined (childhood, adolescence, and present), mothers were more influential than any other agent regardless of the participant’s gender. The three major barriers when the participants first began playing sports were perceived perceptions of others, transportation, and lack of confidence. Currently, the barriers are cost of participation, lack of participants, and perceived perceptions of others.