Food Insecurity is Associated with Poor HIV Outcomes Among Women in the United States.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorSpinelli, Matthew A
Frongillo, Edward A
Sheira, Lila A
Tien, Phyllis C
Adimora, Adaora A
Metsch, Lisa R
Turan, Janet M
Kushel, Margot B
Weiser, Sheri D
Journal titleAIDS and behavior
Publication Begin page3473
Publication End page3477
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWomen in the general population experience more food insecurity than men. Few studies have examined food insecurity's impact on HIV treatment outcomes among women. We examined the association between food insecurity and HIV outcomes in a multi-site sample of HIV-infected women in the United States (n = 1154). Two-fifths (40%) of participants reported food insecurity. In an adjusted multivariable Tobit regression model, food insecurity was associated with 2.08 times higher viral load (95% confidence interval (CI): 1.04, 4.15) and lower CD4+ counts (- 42.10, CI: - 81.16, - 3.03). Integration of food insecurity alleviation into HIV programs may improve HIV outcomes in women.
CitationSpinelli MA, Frongillo EA, Sheira LA, Palar K, Tien PC, Wilson T, Merenstein D, Cohen M, Adedimeji A, Wentz E, Adimora AA, Metsch LR, Turan JM, Kushel MB, Weiser SD. Food Insecurity is Associated with Poor HIV Outcomes Among Women in the United States. AIDS Behav. 2017 Dec;21(12):3473-3477. doi: 10.1007/s10461-017-1968-2. PMID: 29119474; PMCID: PMC5824627.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- Food insecurity and HIV clinical outcomes in a longitudinal study of urban homeless and marginally housed HIV-infected individuals.
- Authors: Weiser SD, Yuan C, Guzman D, Frongillo EA, Riley ED, Bangsberg DR, Kushel MB
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 28
- Longitudinal assessment of associations between food insecurity, antiretroviral adherence and HIV treatment outcomes in rural Uganda.
- Authors: Weiser SD, Palar K, Frongillo EA, Tsai AC, Kumbakumba E, Depee S, Hunt PW, Ragland K, Martin J, Bangsberg DR
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 2
- Mechanisms from Food Insecurity to Worse HIV Treatment Outcomes in US Women Living with HIV.
- Authors: Weiser SD, Sheira LA, Palar K, Kushel M, Wilson TE, Adedimeji A, Merenstein D, Cohen M, Turan JM, Metsch L, Adimora AA, Ofotokun I, Wentz E, Tien PC, Frongillo EA
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Food insecurity is associated with poor virologic response among HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral medications.
- Authors: Wang EA, McGinnis KA, Fiellin DA, Goulet JL, Bryant K, Gibert CL, Leaf DA, Mattocks K, Sullivan LE, Vogenthaler N, Justice AC, VACS Project Team
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Food Insecurity Is Associated With Lower Levels of Antiretroviral Drug Concentrations in Hair Among a Cohort of Women Living With Human Immunodeficiency Virus in the United States.
- Authors: Leddy AM, Sheira LA, Tamraz B, Sykes C, Kashuba ADM, Wilson TE, Adedimeji A, Merenstein D, Cohen MH, Wentz EL, Adimora AA, Ofotokun I, Metsch LR, Turan JM, Bacchetti P, Weiser SD
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 12