In vitro activities of azithromycin, clarithromycin, L-ofloxacin, and other antibiotics against Chlamydia pneumoniae.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Journal titleAntimicrobial agents and chemotherapy
Publication Begin page1573
Publication End page4
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe in vitro susceptibilities of 11 strains of Chlamydia pneumoniae to azithromycin, clarithromycin, erythromycin, L-oflaxacin, and doxycycline were determined. Clarithromycin was the most active agent tested, with an MIC for 90% of strains and minimal chlamydiacidal concentration for 90% of strains of 0.03 microns/ml. The activity of azithromycin was similar to those of erythromycin and doxycycline, with MICs for 90% of strains of 0.125 to 0.25 microns/ml. However, the prolonged half-life and enhanced tissue penetration of azithromycin should allow for less frequent dosing and shorter duration of therapy than with erythromycin or clarithromycin. L-Ofloxacin had activity similar to that of ofloxacin, with MICs of 0.125 to 0.5 micron/ml. From the results of this in vitro study, azithromycin and clarithromycin appear to be effective antibiotics that may have a role in the treatment of infections due to C. pneumoniae.
CitationHammerschlag MR, Qumei KK, Roblin PM. In vitro activities of azithromycin, clarithromycin, L-ofloxacin, and other antibiotics against Chlamydia pneumoniae. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1992 Jul;36(7):1573-4. doi: 10.1128/AAC.36.7.1573. PMID: 1324650; PMCID: PMC191624.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- In vitro activities of azithromycin, clarithromycin, erythromycin, and tetracycline against 13 strains of Chlamydia pneumoniae.
- Authors: Welsh L, Gaydos C, Quinn TC
- Issue date: 1996 Jan
- In vitro activity of trovafloxacin against Chlamydia pneumoniae.
- Authors: Roblin PM, Kutlin A, Hammerschlag MR
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- In vitro susceptibilities of Chlamydia pneumoniae isolates from German patients and synergistic activity of antibiotic combinations.
- Authors: Freidank HM, Losch P, Vögele H, Wiedmann-Al-Ahmad M
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- In vitro activities of azithromycin, clarithromycin, and other antibiotics against Chlamydia pneumoniae.
- Authors: Kuo CC, Jackson LA, Lee A, Grayston JT
- Issue date: 1996 Nov
- In vitro activity of telithromycin, a new ketolide, against Chlamydia pneumoniae.
- Authors: Miyashita N, Fukano H, Niki Y, Matsushima T
- Issue date: 2001 Sep